Director General Jaime Iglesias Quintana
Paseo de la Castellana, 162
Tel. no.: 91 583 74 00
The General Directorate of Budgets (Dirección General de Presupuestos) will be responsible for the formulation of budget policy objectives and criteria, the multiannual programming of expenditure and income programmes of the state public sector, the annual preparation of the General State Budget and monitoring and assessment of its implementation. In particular, it performs the following functions:
- a) The formulation and monitoring of budget policy objectives, the conduct of studies related to these activities and the preparation of criteria for their application. The definition of the guidelines to be followed in the preparation of the budget scenarios and in the evolution of the public expenditure budget policies contained in them. The formulation of legislation and instructions to guide the annual preparation of the General State Budgets.
- b) The analysis of the economic and financial impact of public sector activities on the economic and social framework and the conduct of studies geared towards the preparation of medium-term economic plans.
- c) The estimation of the income of the State and other public sector agents in the framework of the scheduled economic reality, without prejudice to the powers of other organs of the department, as well as the study of the economic impact of the major public expenditure programmes and policies, the simulation of alternative situations and the analysis of their congruence with the medium-term economic plans.
- d) The preparation of the studies to support decisions taken by the Expenditure Policy Committee. According to these decisions, the preparation of the General State Budgets on the basis of forecasts of revenue and appropriations proposed by the managing centres, within the framework of activities of the Programme Analysis Commissions.
- e) The preparation of the draft bill of the General State Budgets and accompanying documentation, as well as rendering of the support required throughout the parliamentary debate.
- f) The analysis and monitoring of the objectives established for the managing centres in the budget, as well as that of the application of the appropriations assigned to them for the efficacious accomplishment of such objectives.
- g) The analysis of the origin and suitability of proposed credit modifications; reporting on their budgetary consequences and funding, and the applicable course and formalities required.
- h) The monitoring of the evolution and execution of income and expenditure reflected in the General State Budgets and the preparation of the studies and proposals required to control budget equilibrium within the guidelines set by the Government.
- i) Reporting on any draft bill or projected regulation that may lead to an increase in expenditure, as well as any other applicable reports as a result of the powers conferred upon the centre. Promoting or proposing initiatives containing measures and procedures to foster a greater streamlining of public income and expenditure programmes.
- j) The study and development of new budget techniques, promoting relationships with Autonomous Communities, local corporations, international organisations, other countries and any other public or private institution for the exchange of information and experiences on the budget institution and its regulation, on budget policy and personnel training.
- k) The analysis and evaluation of expenditure policies, particularly addressing the consideration of its sectorial, territorial aspects and funding, as well as proposals for collaboration with other Public Administrations in matters of funding of investment or other expenditure policies.
- l) The study of the territorial distribution of investment projects which are to be included or funded in the General State Budgets to facilitate analysis of the consistency of the ensemble of public investment.
- m) The analysis of the objectives and activities of the business public sector, of their consistency with expenditure policies and the evaluation of their budget impact. In collaboration with the respective ministerial departments, the study, preparation and proposal of programme-agreements between the State, the public companies and other public sector agents.
- n) The analysis and monitoring of the financial activity of public companies and the preparation of the operating and capital budgets of state companies, which will include multiannual action programmes and other complementary documentation, evaluating their medium-term projection and impact on the accomplishment of the objectives that figure in the different programmes of the General State Budgets on which it has a significant impact, and on agreements and programme-agreements in force.
- ñ) Requesting any information that may be necessary for the suitable use of the powers comprised in the preceding sections from the expenditure management and other administrative organs.
- o) The definition and coordination of the specific training of its personnel in matters related to economic and budget policy; with the contents and structure of the public expenditure policies; with economic forecast techniques; with budget techniques and techniques for the evaluation of objectives and projects, and with other matters which it must be aware of to be able to exercise its powers properly.
- Corresponde al titular de la Dirección General de Presupuestos coordinar las Comisiones de Análisis de Programas, presidiéndolas cuando no lo haga el titular de la Secretaría de Estado de Presupuestos y Gastos.